If you’re interested in utilizing text message marketing for your business but still aren’t 100% sold on the benefits, we are here to help! Text message marketing is a great way for many businesses to reach customers and offer a variety of different things. Like anything, there are also some cons that you need to be aware of, but they can be easily mitigated with the right strategy and content.
Pros of Text Message Marketing
There are so many pros of text message marketing, it’s hard to just pick a few! Here are the biggest pros of text message marketing:
- Text messages have a higher open rate compared to similar marketing emails. They also offer higher conversion rates. Nowadays we have technology that filters tons of marketing emails into a spam folder, so text messaging is especially valuable because you are essentially guaranteed to reach your intended target.
- Text messages are simple and easy to use if you do it correctly. You don’t have to spend tons of money on slogans or graphics. All you have to do is write a solid, short, and sweet text message with a strong call to action that will entice your potential customers to complete the desired action.
- Another pro of text message marketing is that it’s super easy to measure. This importance of this should not be underestimated! Data and analytics are essential in all types of marketing so that you can see what’s working and what isn’t. You can then make adjustments to spend your money more effectively. So if one of your text messages doesn’t seem to be hitting the mark, you can take steps to adjust it and get better results from there.
Cons of Text Message Marketing
There are so many pros of text message marketing, but there are also a few cons that need to be discussed so that you can get the entire lowdown about this marketing tactic:
- The first con of text message marketing is that people need to consent to receive messages from your company before you can actually text them. You cannot send out unsolicited text messages to people like you can with emails. So how do you get people to opt-in? The best way is to get numbers from previous orders on your website and add them to your list. You will initially text them and ask them to opt-in to receive your messages and from there, you’re good to go!
- The second con of text message marketing is that the length and format of these messages are pretty limited. When you first think about marketing, you think about eye-catching and flashy graphics and slogans. However, this isn’t really possible with text message marketing. So without these flashy things, you have to really make sure that you write a solid message that will call your customer to action.
- The third con of text message marketing is that if you don’t do it right, you can really turn off potential customers. You need to find a sweet spot and not send too many intrusive text messages in order to keep your customers engaged but not annoyed.
How to Do It Right
We have already alluded to some of the best practices for text message marketing. But it’s so essential that we need to break it all down together:
- Get people’s consent and keep it by not sending too many messages.
- Only send out messages that people will actually want to receive.
- Entice people to opt-in with an irresistible offer.
- Always include your company name in your messages so that people will know who is texting them.
- Always allow people to opt-out of your messages.
As you can see, the pros of text message marketing far outweigh the cons — making it an essential marketing component for any business big or small!